Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  15:08:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've run across 2 Smokey Bones locations in Memphis and Nashville which have closed. Anyone know if they are going under?

Scooter
MIM Certified Judge
Someone has to do it

Edited by - on

JamesB
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  15:26:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scooter,

Most of the Smokey Bones have closed. There was a post about it a while back... I'll see if I can find it.

Here is the post, but the link to the newspaper story no longer works.

http://www.barbecuenews.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=11332&SearchTerms=smokey+bones

Michael

Soon to be in Houston, Texas

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  16:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ate at one about 2 months ago. Really regret it, but went with the crowd.Wonder why they are going out of business

scsmoker
Foxfire Smokers
Too many toys to list and life is good

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  16:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IVE ATE AT THE ONE IN NASHVILLE AND IT WAS GOOD FOR A BBQ JOINT

Welcome To Orange Nation
keep it simple
Lets Do The Dew #88 Dale Jr.
Stick Burners Rule
Lang 60

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  18:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BOS,
Glad you like it.

BTW: STILL WAITING ON A ADDY FOR YOUR SON

scsmoker
Foxfire Smokers
Too many toys to list and life is good
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z131/Foxfire_smokers/Foxfire_smokers/foxfire4.jpg

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  07:21:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not that i go there, but ours in the metro east of the stl will stay open evidently.

scott

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

0 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  12:54:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have 4 of them near me in South Florida, but never had a desire to try it.

Once I hear 4 locations in such a small area, I'm starting to think franchises and McDonald's quality, know what I mean? This is just my perception of Q, like Q is the LAST bastion of America, where the Chinese will NEVER take over. (And I'm a liberal, so this has nothing to do with xenaphobia.)

This doesn't mean I'm right, but when it comes to Q, I really favor the mom and pop mentality of these restaurants, and so far, I've been proven right.

"What smells so good?"

Edited by - n/a on 10/06/2007 12:55:36
Go to Top of Page

joeyv
Starting Member

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  13:59:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salchichon

not that i go there, but ours in the metro east of the stl will stay open evidently.

scott

Yep, Fairview Hieghts location is open. Not bad at all, we go there every once and a while.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dpglow
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  22:44:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ira

...like Q is the LAST bastion of America, where the Chinese will NEVER take over.

...when it comes to Q, I really favor the mom and pop mentality of these restaurants...

Ira, LOL. The last bastion of the American restaurant scene will be the fast food joint - in whatever form it presents itself (burger, pizza or Chinese).

I'm with you when it comes to the family owned 'que joints, but, depending on where you are, it's hard to come across a really good offering. Smokey Bones isn't bad for a corporate restaurant (the folks at Darden have put a good effort into this concept). It just needs a bit more of the warmth you get when greeted and served by the owner, a member of the family, or that 10-15 year employee. Just not the same when the restaurant is managed by a new grad from Hospitality U and staffed by employees who really couldn't care less if you leave with a smile on your face - as long as you leave a 15-20% tip.

Scotty

Plan, execute, and have some fun along the way! After all is said and done, it's not about the commission, it's about the calling.

Edited by - Dpglow on 10/07/2007 22:45:30
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

0 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  04:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I AM PRETTY SURE SMOKIN BONES IS FROM THE RICHARD MELMAN CAMP OF DANCIN ON THE TABLES (ED DEBEVICS DINER) LETS PUT A LOT OF HUSTLE IN THE SERVICE, SCHOOL OF FOODSERVICE!!! .. GREAT THEATRE, HARDLY COMFORTING FOODSERVICE ... FAMILY FRIENDLY WITH GENUINE SMILES FROM YOUR WAITRESS (ONE OF THE NEIGHBORHOOD GALS) IS A WHOLE LOT MORE COMPATABLE WITH MY BBQ PLATE ..

love ya ...billy

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

0 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  09:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KI9A

quote:
Originally posted by salchichon

scott

Yep, Fairview Hieghts location is open. Not bad at all, we go there every once and a while.

That's good news. It's not my favorite BBQ, but my wife enjoys it and we go to that Smokey Bones once in a while.

-Jared

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  22:24:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Norman Sooner buddy just tried the Fayetteville NC store..didn't impress him as anything to get excited about..he knows good brisket and pulled pork..but this was a wash..it's a shame when so many of us want Q to grab more than a foothold in the south and midwest..but it just doesn't seem to happen. Don't know if they don't care, or it's the same old fast food mentality that always seems to prevail. Throw some bbq sauce on it..and they will buy!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dpglow
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  23:53:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

The Darden restaurants all seem to have that "corporate restaurant" feel to them. The concepts are good ones, but the execution is just missing the creative spark or passion you find in the smaller, family controlled stores. It's kinda like they were trying to replicate the ambiance of the sea food, Italian or BBQ joints, but the CFO insisted on using mass produced fixtures from Mexico or China. Just doesn't have the warmth or authenticity.

With Red Lobster there is no feel for the sea, Olive Garden's setting just doesn't get you to Tuscany, and Smokey Bones is more like a Disney theme park offering than an authenic BBQ joint. The look of these restaurants is kinda two dimensional and flat.

But that's just me and what do I know? I haven't opened the doors to my first restaurant yet. Guess as long as your food is superior you can get away with functional decor lacking soul. Smokey Bones, unfortunately, has ok food, but not good enough for me and my family to visit again and again when there are better offerings for the $15-$20 bucks a plate. But, hey, I should have the problems of a Darden, right?

Scotty

Plan, execute, and have some fun along the way! After all is said and done, it's not about the commission, it's about the calling.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  01:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scotty..I hear you...there are some pretty good bbq restaurants, or joints. I've been to some that are good, but not knock your socks off, make ya smoke a cigarrette good. I'm not saying there aren't any great Q joints..never been past the eastern side of the US past Little Rock, Ark....just a kid back then...but WHY can you find great steakhouses, seafood places, Italian, and on down the line..but Q? It's like pullin' teeth!! And the patient ain't cooperatin'!! Anyhoo..blowin' off some steam..not gonna change anything I guess..that's why we fire up the Stumps, Lang, or WSM, throw on the meats of the day, and let the smoke roll...that's when the smile breaks out that lets ya know..everything's gonna be allright!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kentuckiana Gib

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  14:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Smokey Boned in Evansville, IN closed a few months ago. I ate there one time and it was the poorest excuse of Q I ever put in my mouth. I can see why it just lasted a couple of years here.

There are some great Q places around the area. From buffet style to the dumpy little place with a pit and a bar. There are also some places here that I would advise one to avoid because of the dissapointment with the Q.

From brick pits to a CG Smokin' Pro

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  14:16:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one in Kennesaw GA is still running.It is hit or miss with that one.

Danny,
Lang 84 deluxe longneck w/chargrill]
http://usera.imagecave.com/shadetreebbq/
shadetreebbq@yahoo.com

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
National Barbecue News Forums © 2013 National Barbecue News Go To Top Of Page