Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

0 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  14:50:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They closed one of the three Smokey Bones that I know off in Ohio. The one that they closed was open less than a year. It was also the one that catered my wedding.

- C

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

0 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  15:02:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Angio333

They closed one of the three Smokey Bones that I know off in Ohio. The one that they closed was open less than a year. It was also the one that catered my wedding.

- C

Uh oh:

Marriage still going okay?

"What smells so good?"

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  00:18:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think the Smokey Bones are all gone in the midwest - at least 3 of the 4 that I knew of in the Chicago area are gone - the 1st one closed over 2 years ago - haven't been in the area of the 4th location in over a year. Thought Darden was closing them all down. Know I passed one last month down in Florida - forget if it was around Orlando or down by Ft. Myers - I was suprised to see it. We probably ate at them 6 or 7 times over the years - not bad but not great. If I remember correctly, they had really good corn bread.

* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  15:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sad to think the one food item rembered from a BBQ joint is the cornbread. Probably explains why they are shutting down.

Scooter
MIM Certified Judge
Someone has to do it

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pushfrog98

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  15:18:10  Show Profile  Visit pushfrog98's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know this is an old topic (Pre-Turkey Invasion)... but I ate at a smokey bones last week.

I wouldn't have eaten there, but I had a gift certificate, so It was "Free."

The menu has changed a lot since I ate there last (about a year ago.) They no longer have sauces on the table, but serve 2 sauces (warm) in little jars. The sauces weren't very good. They definitely changed the recipe or something.

I had a 3 meat combo (Smoked turkey, pulled pork, st. louis ribs). The Turkey was alright, but nothing overwhelming. Not much smoke flavor. The Pulled pork was HIGHLY disappointing. The "Rub" tasted like it was just ground black pepper. The meat had absolutely no smoke flavor (or flavor) and was salty/peppery. The Ribs were ok at best. Had some nice tenderness to them, but again, no smoke flavor.

Smokey Bones was never my favorite BBQ chain place, but it was always at least "passable." I gave it a D- (which is still better than the F---------------------------- the Corky's in springfield, il got.

Oh, and the "Sweet Tea" was hardly sweet! Whats up with that.

And I say the meal was Free, but I paid dearly for it later on in the evening.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Half Fast

USA
288 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  17:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "Smokey Bones" in Melbourne, Fl is still open. As most have said before, it's OK, but wouldn't want a steady diet of it.

Regards,

Even Half Fast BBQ is better than real fast BBQ!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Bob in Fla

USA
2999 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  20:32:31  Show Profile  Visit Bob in Fla's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, Jared, you sayin' that I shouldn't use my gift card?

BOB
at least 3 or 4 Smokey Bones still in the O-Town area

Raw Meat Should NOT Have an Ingredients List

Stump's GF 222 CM
Stump's Tailgater

WSM, Smokey Joe

FBA CBJ and KCBS CBJ

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1880 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  21:23:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I WAS IN FAYETTVILLE,NORTH CAROLINA A COUPLE WEEKS BACK AND ATE AT SMOKEYBONES THERE AND IT WAS GOOD RIBS TENDER GOOD SMOKE FLAVOR BRISKET WASNT NUTTIN TO BRAG ABOUT PULLED PORK WAS GOOD ID GO BACK AGAIN

"Off The Sauce Cookers"
think think Think
Lang 60
Member since 12/31/04
100%American
Huntsville,Alabama
FBA Member

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pushfrog98

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  08:03:33  Show Profile  Visit pushfrog98's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd use the gift card at your own risk... however... I've also learned never to judge a BBQ joint based on one visit. Sometimes you just get a bad batch. Between my wife and myself though, we had 4 different meats and not a one of them were anything like they used to be.

Also, It should be noted that this particular smokey bones was in springfield, Il... and I'm beginning to think people in Springfield can't prepare BBQ. The Corky's there is wretched and now smokey bones...

I have $20 left on my gift card and I'm tempted to sell it for less, just so I can take my cash and go to 17th Street.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Bob in Fla

USA
2999 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  14:42:33  Show Profile  Visit Bob in Fla's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My card is good for any Dardin restuarant. Maybe I'll go to Red Lobster.

BOB

Raw Meat Should NOT Have an Ingredients List

Stump's GF 222 CM
Stump's Tailgater

WSM, Smokey Joe

FBA CBJ and KCBS CBJ

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SmokyGator
Starting Member

40 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  09:16:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been to the SmokyBones on Hwy. 436 near Orlando about 5 times. Pulled pork was very good. Have had the St. Louis cut spare ribs and they were pink throughout, meat separated between the bones when I pulled 2 ribs sideways, flavor pretty good. Pretty consistent quality.

I talked with a member of the Smoky Bones test kitchen who happened to be at the restaurant. He'd competed at Memphis in May and was a former roadside BBQer. Told me their sauce was an attempt to replicate the taste of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.

The ribs and pulled pork at the Orlando location definitely is better and more consistent than most "mom and pops."

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ArniesGrilldotcom
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  20:39:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SORRY NEW HERE AND COULD NOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE BOLD OR QUOTE YET.

Scotty..I hear you...there are some pretty good bbq restaurants, or joints. I've been to some that are good, but not knock your socks off, make ya smoke a cigarrette good. I'm not saying there aren't any great Q joints..never been past the eastern side of the US past Little Rock, Ark....just a kid back then...but WHY can you find great steakhouses, seafood places, Italian, and on down the line..but Q? It's like pullin' teeth!! And the patient ain't cooperatin'!! Anyhoo..blowin' off some steam..not gonna change anything I guess..that's why we fire up the Stumps, Lang, or WSM, throw on the meats of the day, and let the smoke roll...that's when the smile breaks out that lets ya know..everything's gonna be allright!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey all, new kid on the screen here. My first post here in years.
Why is it so hard to find good Q joints?
Heres my 10 cents and my short experience:
After years of dreaming like a lot of you I finally opened my own Q place. It was a mexican restaraunt still in operation and I just added the BBQ.
What I've found is that mexican food just like the ones mentioned above can all be for the most part prepped and cooked ahead of time and reheated okay and doctored up to be really good on a reheat. A lot of stuff is pre-packaged and premarinated and pre bla bla bla and basically heat and serve.

Really good barbecue on the other hand for the most part has to be cooked by a really competetant and experienced cook like many of you and my self. A lot of people think they can cook good bbq but they dont have a clue. Go be a judge at a cook off competition and you'll see what I mean.I have a guy who works for me who has cooked longer and is older and more experience than me and very passionate about cooking Q, he thinks he's better and smarter but I constantly have to baby sit his cooking or he screws it up, dry chicken and brisket or tough brisket and dry ribs ect. Moral is its hard to find good help, especially for bbq cooking.As an owner I can tell you its really really hard to do the cooking, managing, ordering quality control and personally visit every table and customer in your store ect. so you get help and its rarely as good as YOU!
Secondly bbq has to be mostly fresh off the pit to taste its best and that is very hard to do when you have to cook it ahead of time to serve a few hundred people in a 40 minute lunch rush.So many places reheat and try to get creative or leave it in a warmer or oven all day in an effort to not lose the profits, hence the no smoke or bbq flavor.

A good friend is regional manager for a very large and successful chain here in Texas and I've been on the tour out back, they precook everything then cool it off (never frozen btw) and then they reheat and serve, its dececent food but not for guys like us. Most people just dont know better because they never cooked a thing in their life and they love the awefull stuff and give it rave reviews. They (the bbq chain) have a store about three miles down the road from me and do about 70,000 a week in sales, not its not a typo.

Anyhoo sorry for the super long first post but I been all over the big state of Texas and eaten Q at more places than most humans and constantly found that it was just average bbq at most places and even bad at some but they were busy so thats when I concluded that most people dont cook or know any better.

One place where it was consistenly good for over four years of eating there was Texas Pride BBQ in San Antonio, located on loop 1604 between I-37 and I-10.

I've eaten at several of the top 50 joints mentioned in Texas monthly this year and was surprised some joints were even rated that high or there at all so yes like a lot of you I'm very picky about my Q and it give me inspiration and hope that I could do just as good, LOL.

Life is like a BBQ sauce, it takes a lot of ingredients and some time and patience to get it just right!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Sandy

228 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  20:49:26  Show Profile  Visit Sandy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Arnie!! Sure glad to have you.
He won't mention it but I will... .......

Read about Arnie here:

http://www.barbecuenews.com/news/article_08.asp

(all of the news about who's who in bbq... when you subscribe to the NBBQN)

Sandy
admin.
Oregon
http://www.barbecuenews.com/

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Cactus1

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  08:02:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pushfrog - Are you still out there?
Tried to go to the Smokey Bones in Springfield, IL this past Saturday night. They were jammed - wait was an hour. We left and did not eat there. We travel to the Springfield area about once a month and stay in the same restaraunt / hotel row where Smokey Bones is located. I'm always amazed that their parking lot is usually jammed with people standing outside waiting to get in. Know there can't be many Smokey Bones left.

* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
" A Balanced Diet Is A Rib Bone In One Hand
And ... Uh ... Oh Yeah ... Maybe A Chicken Wing In The Other!"
Member - IBS, Nelsen's Hall Bitter's Club, & West Side Rooters Social Club
Whatever You Do - Wherever You Go - Have A Great One!
22 1/2" Weber One Touch Silver (my "go to grill"), 26 3/4" Weber One Touch Gold, 18 1/2" WSM (with basic mods), 22 1/2" WSM (with basic mods), 1970's era Weber Kettle (rescued from & at my Dad's in Ohio - my cooker when I'm there), MasterBuilt Digital Electric
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
National Barbecue News Forums © 2013 National Barbecue News Go To Top Of Page