Memphis and St. Louis
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cactus1

USA
1638 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  13:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got back from vacation that included barbecue stops in Memphis and St. Louis. 1st stop was Memphis and the Rendezvous - thought the ribs were pretty darn good. Also enjoyed all of the history and ambience and had a great conversation with the bartender in the waiting area - sorry I didn't get his name but the guy has worked at the Rendezvous for 51 years and he told us some great stories. Also ate at Neely's on Jefferson St. and sampled the ribs, rib tips, chicken wings, and barbecue spaghetti. Everything was good although I think I can "take or leave" the barbecue spaghetti. Didn't realize chicken wings were such a big deal in Memphis and Neely's were as good as I've had anywhere including the Anchor Bar. This was my 1st trip to Memphis and know we missed a lot of great barbecue - still thinking about the guy on the side of Elvis Presley Blvd that was cooking ribs and shoulder in and old pit - think we missed some good barbecue there. Just going to have to try to get back to Memphis, maybe in the Spring, and see if he's still there.
Went to Pappy's in St. Louis on the way home. Wife had the ribs and I had the brisket and turkey - as usual everything was really great! Pappy's is my wife's favorite barbecue place - it still is the only restaraunt of any kind that we've ever eaten at in all of our travels that she has said "We're coming back tomorrow." - this was after our 1st trip to Pappy's a couple of years ago. Had a great visit with Skip Steele - met him 3 1/2 years ago when he was at RUB in Vegas - walked up to say "Hi" and was amazed that he remembered us. Sorry Skip - Saturday got away from us and we didn't make it over to Bogart's but you know we'll be back. Hope you're enjoying your week off.

* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
" A Balanced Diet Is A Rib Bone In One Hand
And ... Uh ... Oh Yeah ... Maybe A Chicken Wing In The Other!"
Member - IBS, Nelsen's Hall Bitter's Club, & West Side Rooters Social Club
Whatever You Do - Wherever You Go - Have A Great One!

BILLYBONESBBQ

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  09:31:48  Show Profile  Visit BILLYBONESBBQ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WAAAY TOO MUCH TO DO IN MEMPHIS.. WHAT NO FRIED BOLOGNA ?? A SAZARACK IN THE DUCK LOUNGE FOUNTAIN AT THE PEABODY. HOPE YOU AT LEAST DROVE BY ELVIS PLACE TO TIP HAT AND A LATE NIGHT BEVERAGE AT SILKY SULLIVANS ON BEAL STREET ARE JUST A FEW OF THE MUST STOPS.. CHARLIE VERGOS IS OK AND A GOOD CHECK ON CALVIN TRILLENS WRITING ABOUT GUSTATORY EXPERIENCES. I SUPPOSE WHEN YOUR WORKING FOR A LIVING A FEW NICE WORDS ABOUT A LOCAL BBQ JOINT MIGHT EARN YOU A FREE MEAL OR TWO AND THE BBQ JOINT A PLACE IN BBQ HISTORY .. DID I MENTION MONGOS ON FRONT ST ???? YESS SIR THEY DO IT ALL IN MEMPHIS ..

locate billy in Red Keg, michigan - half way between Paradise and Hell
Go to Top of Page

Cactus1

USA
1638 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2011 :  11:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree! Already looking forward to the next time we can go. Did a nice little tour of the Peabody - not a sazarack but did enjoy a beverage in the lounge - I knew of the Peabody but didn't know the story and history of the ducks until we got there. Enjoyed Beale St and walking through Tom Lee Park trying to imagine all of the activity of Memphis in May. We really enjoyed the Memphis Zoo - Sue's highlight of the trip was my almost being kissed by a sea lion - good story and I'll have to try to get a picture posted. We did pay our respects to Elvis - wasn't in our original plans but happy that I got to see Graceland and some of Elvis' life style. My highlight was our tour of Sun Studio - just to think of all the music history that was made there!

Go to Top of Page

BILLYBONESBBQ

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2011 :  00:40:14  Show Profile  Visit BILLYBONESBBQ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
CACTUS YOU DID MEMPHIS RIGHT .. B REAKFAST AT THE PEABODY WAS A TEAM TRADITION BACK IN THE DAY .PEABODY IN ORLANDO HAS MOST INTERESTING BREAKFAST MENU IN THE COUNTRY .. NEXT TIME YOUR THT WAY CHECK OUT THE B LINE CAFE .. OH I COULD GO ON .. WHAT A GREAT PLACE TO BE .. ON THE ROAD IN AMERICA. HAHAHAH

Go to Top of Page

Cactus1

USA
1638 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2011 :  12:40:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Billy - We almost came in your direction. We're long overdue for a Michigan trip and some great barbecue from Bonedaddys plus the great hospitality we enjoyed there. Know I've said it before but hopefully in the Spring. We had great weather going south and I think I heard that you got snow - know it's coming but I'm not ready for that!

Go to Top of Page

BILLYBONESBBQ

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2011 :  14:50:00  Show Profile  Visit BILLYBONESBBQ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SNOW DUSTED MY FRONT PORCH ON SATURDAY. ITS A BEAUTIFUL THING AND ALWAYS REMINDS ME OF CHILDHOOD WINTERS HERE IN MICHIGAN. OLE RED BOY PULLING ME ON THE SLED AND MY SISTER TAKING A SNOWBALL FULL I THE FACE .. WHAT FUN .. NOW ADAYS I JUST HOPE TO REMEMBER TO KEEP THE GAS TANK FULL AND AN EXTRA RATION OF SARDENES IN THE PANTRY ..SWITCHED OUT THE FIREPLACE FROM LOGS BURNING TO GAS FLAME.. THANK GOD I HAVE THREE THINGS TO KEEP ME WARM .. MY FLANEL SHIRTS AND INSULATED UNDERWEAR. AND ER AH ER AH ...I'LL GET BACK TO YOU ON THAT THIRD THING ..

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
National Barbecue News Forums © 2013 National Barbecue News Go To Top Of Page