RUB in East Meadow LI changes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Al Dente

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  05:31:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few months ago, an offshoot of Paul Kirk's RUB (Righteous Urban Barbecue) from Manhattan opened in East Meadow. I did not have a chance to visit it, but it has already had some changes. Most notably, Paul Kirk has parted ways with it, his signature rubs, sauces, and recipes have all been replaced. There was a difference of opinions as to how it should be managed. I guess they don't trust hs experience. The space is owned by the Singh Restaurant group, and it has been several other restaurants already. It seems to change themes every 6-8 months. It previously was Ruby's BBQ, and it was good, but it quickly changed into a different type. It has been Italian, a steak house, then Ruby's, a fish place, now RUB. We'll see what comes next.

I wish I was born with two stomachs. All the best, Al.

bobberqer

USA
11268 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  08:37:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is the restaurant itself closed?? I know they sent someone from the NY store out there for a while to buff up the quality of the food...

whoddathunk???

FBA Member

Cant you'll talk faster, or at the least, hear faster?

100% North of the Mason Dixon Line
Go to Top of Page

Al Dente

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  16:06:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The restaurant is still open and running. The name supposedly will change now that Paul Kirk is no longer involved. Who knows, this spot has been a revolving door for some time now.

Go to Top of Page

bobberqer

USA
11268 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  17:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good location, signage not so noticeable...with the write up they got, I'd be surprised if another Que joint can make it there..

whoddathunk???

FBA Member

Go to Top of Page

Al Dente

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  16:10:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've spoken with soemone who works for the restaurant group that owns and manages the property, and they expect big numbers out of the gate and for those numbers to remain. They grant no leeway, and give no time to grow a customer base. That's why it's been so many different themes over the last 4 years. I don't get it. They keep dumping money into a new operation without ever giving the old one a chance. Unless they see it as a tax write off for business expenses. It's a shame if that's the case, because it disappoints people in the area when they like a place and shutters after 6 months.

Go to Top of Page

Al Dente

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  03:37:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is officilly closed. Yet again, this location for the group that owns the property, continues with its' revolving door of openings and closures.

Go to Top of Page

BILLYBONESBBQ

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  11:46:31  Show Profile  Visit BILLYBONESBBQ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ITS ALWAYS THE KING, WHO DOESN'T KNOW ,HE HAS NO CLOTHES..THE RUSH TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF CHEAP PROPERTY HAS BEEN THE RUIN OF MANY GOOD IDEA. IT STILL COMES DOWN TO 3 THINGS, LOCATION ..... .....

locate billy in Red Keg, michigan - half way between Paradise and Hell
Go to Top of Page

BILLYBONESBBQ

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  11:48:36  Show Profile  Visit BILLYBONESBBQ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
QUESTION ? IS PAUL KIRK STILL ASSOCIATED WITH RUB IN VEGAS, AT THE RIO? HAD HEARD HE HAD PARTED WAYS THERE AS WELL ? ...

Go to Top of Page

bobberqer

USA
11268 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  09:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since RUB in Vegas is closed, I would assume Mr Kirk has nothing to do with it!!!

whoddathunk???

FBA Member

Go to Top of Page

Cactus1

USA
1638 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  21:18:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's going on with RUB? Was at Rub in Vegas 4 years ago, just before Skip Steele left, and it was quite good. Know Skip's doing good back in St.Louis @ Pappy's and Bogart's. Hopefully looking forward to seeing him the weekend after the 4th of July.

* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
" A Balanced Diet Is A Rib Bone In One Hand
And ... Uh ... Oh Yeah ... Maybe A Chicken Wing In The Other!"
Member - IBS, Nelsen's Hall Bitter's Club, & West Side Rooters Social Club
Whatever You Do - Wherever You Go - Have A Great One!
22 1/2" Weber One Touch Silver (my "go to grill"), 26 3/4" Weber One Touch Gold, 18 1/2" WSM (with basic mods), 22 1/2" WSM (with basic mods), 1970's era Weber Kettle (rescued from & at my Dad's in Ohio - my cooker when I'm there), MasterBuilt Digital Electric
Go to Top of Page

BILLYBONESBBQ

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  09:49:30  Show Profile  Visit BILLYBONESBBQ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SKIP STEELE HAS NOTHING BUT "THUMBS UP" FROM LOCAL CUSTOMERS AND THE MEDIA LOVE HIM AS WELL.. SOME GUYS GOT THE REAL STUFF.. SKIP IS CERTAINLY ONE OF THOSE..

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
National Barbecue News Forums © 2013 National Barbecue News Go To Top Of Page