I did it!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SWATPigBBQ

USA
288 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  14:22:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went ahead and finally pulled the trigger on a purchase I had been contemplating for a while. I ordered a DigiQ for my ABS Judge and it is on it's way. I have been in contact with company president and he has been extremely helpful, even offering to send me parts to use as a template. I know there hasn't been a lot of talk about using these but I am excited to see the outcome of it.

Jeremy from Missouri the REAL home of BBQ!

CBJ-KCBS.
SWAT Pig BBQ Team!
American Barbecue Systems "Judge" Pit
"The true test of BBQ is not the amount of people who love your BBQ because it is free but it is the ones who have to pay for it and still enjoy it."

SWATPigBBQ

USA
288 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2012 :  19:42:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The DIGIQ DX finally arrived. Such an expensive little small box. It has been raining a lot here so I will probably not be installing it, and of course testing it, until Friday or Saturday. I have been watching videos on Youtube about the right amount of wood to use and I came across this guy and a stoker system.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2P9VWfVp9Q
I know that is a lot of wood and there is also one of him using 40 pounds of charcoal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2P9VWfVp9Q
What would be the optimal usage for something like a DigiQ? Stock it up like this and wait for the blue smoke or clear smoke then go or add to it every once in a while?

CBJ-KCBS.
SWAT Pig BBQ Team!
"The true test of BBQ is not the amount of people who love your BBQ because it is free but it is the ones who have to pay for it and still enjoy it."
Go to Top of Page

SWATPigBBQ

USA
288 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  12:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
157 people have read this and not one single comment. I guess I will have to just talk to myself. Hey Jeremy how did the installation go? Pretty good and wasn't too horribly bad. I am excited to use it tomorrow and I think I am going to cook all the KCBS categories just for ish and giggles to test it out.

CBJ-KCBS.
SWAT Pig BBQ Team!
Go to Top of Page

SWATPigBBQ

USA
288 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  07:09:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
178 now.... Anyone at all????

CBJ-KCBS.
SWAT Pig BBQ Team!
Go to Top of Page

SWATPigBBQ

USA
288 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  07:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jeremy how is the Guru cooking this weekend??

CBJ-KCBS.
SWAT Pig BBQ Team!
Go to Top of Page

SWATPigBBQ

USA
288 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  07:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to bad it was really cold this morning and took a while to get all that metal heated up but it is running great. I have a brisket and shoulder on and I plan on putting 9 racks of baby backs on later, it should be a good day!

CBJ-KCBS.
SWAT Pig BBQ Team!
Go to Top of Page

mountainpitbbq

China
3253 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  10:20:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear the guru is working well Am thinking about getting a party-q myself.

-Dave Putnam Valley NY Peoria Custom Cooker Backyard 24x48 w/ firebox grill NEBS member KCBS certified bbq judge
Go to Top of Page

JGperc

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  10:28:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeremy, how are things back in MO? I've been kicking around a digi Q for a while. I don't like doing all nighters anymore and as I get older, sitting outside tending the pit isn't as nice as it used to be. What's your verdict?
jg
Go to Top of Page

SWATPigBBQ

USA
288 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  11:54:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I probably did it wrong but I loaded mine down with charcoal (40 pounds) and got 6 hours of uninterupted cooking time. I just added more and I hope that is all I have to do for the remainder of the cook. It does exactly like it says it does and was really simple. So far I am sold. I guess I would be sold one way or another because I don't know if I could get my money back if I wasn't! Haha! Next time I cook I am going to try just sticks and see what I can do with that.

CBJ-KCBS.
SWAT Pig BBQ Team!
Go to Top of Page

BigOrangeSmoker

USA
5269 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  12:46:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
40 LBS....6 HOURS...ADDING MORE....DANG IM GLAD I AINT GOTTA BUY YOUR CHARCOAL.DIGIQ IS OUTSTANDING,I LOVE MINE BUT I COOKED ON MY COOKER FOR 6-7 MONTHS SO I COULD LEARN THE PIT

Off The Sauce Cookers
Stump Monster Ordered

Stump Stretch
Orange Nation
Huntsville,Alabama
Eat A Pig Save A Farmer
phil.white@comcast.net
Go to Top of Page

SWATPigBBQ

USA
288 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  14:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah like I said I probably did over do it but I am also 16 miles from town and I hate to drive to town to buy more at the same time. I love this pit and about the only thing that could make it better is if it would be insulated. I am glad I finally got people to respond to my posts haha!

CBJ-KCBS.
SWAT Pig BBQ Team!
Go to Top of Page

gma

745 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  16:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mine will go @least 2.5 days w/one load along with the Guru.

Weber Ranch mod w/10"stainless ring. Double capacity
3 weber one touch
1 weber performer
(3)22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain's
(2)Stumps GF 223's
Weber Gasser
Go to Top of Page

BigOrangeSmoker

USA
5269 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  18:32:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gma

mine will go @least 2.5 days w/one load along with the Guru.

Weber Ranch mod w/10"stainless ring. Double capacity
3 weber one touch
1 weber performer
(3)22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain's
(2)Stumps GF 223's
Weber Gasser

WHERES THAT LIKE BUTTON

Off The Sauce Cookers
Stump Monster Ordered

Stump Stretch
Orange Nation
Huntsville,Alabama
Eat A Pig Save A Farmer
phil.white@comcast.net
Go to Top of Page

JGperc

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  23:08:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

Jo Jo

216 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  05:47:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've gone right at 18 hours on a 15 lb bag of Stubbs on my Southern Q Smoker and never came off temp using a Digi Q DX. The first time I saw one at a competition I thought the guy was "cheating" as I stayed up all night feeding my stick burner. Ahhh, the good ol' days.

Jo Jo's BBQ- Loganville, Ga.
TNT Southern Smoker
18.5" Samuel Adams Bullet Smoker
CharGriller patio smoker
"Tired of so-so. Have some Jo Jo's!!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
National Barbecue News Forums © 2013 National Barbecue News Go To Top Of Page